How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would my husband be able to request receipts for money (child

Customer Question

Would my husband be able to request receipts for money (child support) spent on his child from his wife who is the custodial parent? The order is in Lee County, Florida. Also, would we be able to submit receipts to the court to have monthly child support reduced when he supplied for his son's needs directly (school clothes, books, supplies, summer camp)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Does he pay child support directly or through a court order?

Are payments made through the bureau of support?

Is someone challenging the amount he paid?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They're being paid through a court order which was initiated and executed during the dissolution of marriage. However, she is asking for more and we feel she isn't spending the money on the child.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

DearCustomer- If he is paying his child support through the court then I can't see why he would need receipts to prove what he paid. Child support is based on the respective incomes of the parties so if there has been a change in the incomes of either party then a modification of child support would be ordered by the court. Anything your husband purchased for the child outside of child support will be considered as a gift and would not be credited for child support or in the determination thereof. What the mother spends the money on is also not something your husband can control or get receipts for etc. If he believes the child is not being properly cared for he can file a motion for a change of custody based on the best interests of the child.

Dave Kennett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand the above. However, I did hear that in some states, the noncustodial parent has the right to request receipts to ensure the money that is paid is being spend on the child. Filing for motions...etc is of course always an option and very expensive.
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
You can request receipts but if she will not provide them you are back to filing a motion. The point of the receipts would have to be to prove that the needs of the child are not being met. There is no requirement that all money from child support be directly spent on the child.