legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

I was told that I could not file for benefits and that, in

I was told that I could not file for benefits and that, in fact, I owed unemployment over $10,700 for the benefits I received. My former employer lied when he told them I quit. He had replaced me. I feel that the situation was unfair to me. Yes or no, can I colledt back benefits
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

If you have won your unemployment case, you should not have to repay any money because it would not be an overpayment when you have been found eligible to receive benefits. If you met the qualifications for the extensions and you filed all weekly claims and extension requests, you should automatically get that money paid to you once the reversal is filed with the unemployment commission. Usually that takes a week or two for benefits to be paid.

Who is telling you that you will not get back benefits and that you owe? What did the final reversal say that you received?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know that I do not have to repay the monies received. However, when I went to apply for the extensions (late 2007,2008 and 2009), I was told by unemployment that I was not eligable to file for benefits because I owed them money. My question is, now that that money is no longer owed and due to the fact that I was unable to file for those extensions can I get the money from those extensions
If you qualified for the extensions at that time you should get the money. But at the very least you must first file for the extensions to get the back pay.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I go about filing?
Contact the unemployment commission and show a copy of your reversal and ask for the extension filing for the years in question.