Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

my husband filed for divorce on dec 6 in IL . hist attorney

my husband filed for divorce on dec 6 in IL . hist attorney sent me a letter with the filing and said I would be served formally if I did not respond by Jan 2nd. I thought I could fix this with my husband over the holidays - but it doesn"t look like I can. what should I do? I have two children and support the household. I have never done anything to justify this and want to contest it. I don't drink, lie, cheat - and I am a good mom - but because I work he is the one that is home all the time. I realize that I should have spent the last month hiring an attorney instead of crying -
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 2 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

I am sorry to hear of this situation for you.

Samuel-II :

What you do now, is you allow his attorney to serve the Complaint for divorce.

Samuel-II :

You will have 30 days to Answer it. This is where you can contest and oppose the divorce

Samuel-II :

You will read the Complaint and see what is been alledged for the purpose of the divorce and what else is being sought.

Samuel-II :

You can decide to consult with a local attorney at that time, or try to Answer the Complaint yourself

Customer: so even if the suit was filed on december 6 - if I allow them to serve me with it then I have another 30 days after service?
Samuel-II :

You have not been formally served, so yes

Samuel-II :

That is correct.

Samuel-II :

The fact the Attorney asked you to respond to him does not mean anything.

Samuel-II :

You must be formally served.

Samuel-II :

So if you don't respond to him by tomorrow, he will serve you.

Samuel-II :

You can call the attorney and tell him that you thought you could reconcile and since you cannot, he needs to serve you.

Samuel-II :

But I would not suggest you say much more to the attorney.

Samuel-II :

Or you can opt not to contact him at all and just be served

Customer: will they hold that against me later?
Samuel-II :

If you want to consult with a local attorney, I would suggest you try the Illinois Bar Association for a referral service. I will get you that information.

Samuel-II :

Will they hold what against you?

Customer: the fact that i didnt respond to the letter?
Samuel-II :

No

Samuel-II :

That will not be held against you

Samuel-II :

When you get served, read the Complaint and then consider consulting with a local attorney

Customer: ok sounds like a plan - thanks
Samuel-II :

I am sorry you are experiencing this. I hope it all works out for you

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a JA Subscription, Please ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I get credit for my time and information. Thank you

Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience: General practice of law with emphasis in family law.