Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Divorced in 2007, florida, myself a non custodial parent ordered

Divorced in 2007, florida, myself a non custodial parent ordered to pay an outlandish child support for two children. Represented by attorneys (both sides) No child support guideline worksheet was ever filed, during divorce or in final court hearings. According to Child support worksheet, at the time of divorce, our combined net income would have to be tripple of what was stated in divorce decree. Can I receive reimbursment for the past 4 years overpayment due to the fact of newly discovered evidence? The fact of no guideline worksheet was brought to my attention this past month by the magistrate when I had filed a downward modification myself, and lost. The existing child support order never addressed a termination date or the law of emancipation & is generic in nature. X wife, child support division, states "This is a per order" to be paid until the youngest turns 18.In the final decree, it does not state this is a per order. Presently my sons are 18 & 17 and still paying support based on salary (tripple) from 2007. What recoarse do I have?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am afraid that you would not be able to get any refund of anything you may have overpaid in support. You had 30 days from the date when the judge issued that ruling to have appealed this matter and if you did not appeal within that time, you cannot go back now an complain about the decision, you can only seek modification. Child support is paid in FL until the children are 18 or graduate high school. A modification is your only chance and the FL courts dislike pro se litigants, but if you properly present the significant difference in your salary from what was used at the time of the judgment, the law states support should be reduced by the courts.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.