John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.

Ill try to make this the short version. I married in 2001,

I'll try to make this the short version. I married in 2001, divorced in 2002 in Arkansas ( I kept his last name). However because of children (mostly his) we got back together and lived together, moving to Texas in 2006. Bought a house together, had bank accounts and other property together. In 2009 he left me for another woman. Because we had not had a traditional marriage, he left and the kids and I stayed in the house. I lost it in 2010 to foreclosure because I could no longer afford it with the loss of his income.
Now I am told that we may still be legally married in the State of Texas. is this true?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

What you are talking about is a common law marriage. Texas calls it an "informal marriage," rather than a common-law marriage. Under § 2.401 of the Texas Family Code, an informal marriage can be established either by declaration (registering at the county courthouse without having a ceremony), or by meeting a three-prong test showing evidence of (1) an agreement to be married; (2) cohabitation in Texas; and (3) representation to others that the parties are married. A 1995 update adds an evidentiary presumption that there was no marriage if no suit for proof of marriage is filed within two years of the date the parties separated and ceased living together.

If you meet all three of these prongs of the test and file a suit for proof of marriage within 2 years of the 2009 separation then you would likely be considered legally marriage and property division would occur as if you where legally married.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXXX…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.

John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience: Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.