Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My son and his fiancee had been living together for about 11

My son and his fiancee had been living together for about 11 years; neither was fully divorced from previous spouses. My son was legally separated and the woman had a partial divorce. She just passed away last month and the hospital is sending out the bills which total about $15,000.00. My son cannot pay these; he has been laid off from his job of 15 years. The hospital told her daughter that if she would fill out paper work for Medicaid and if my son would write a letter stating that he was taking care of her and she had promised to pay his back, that Medicaid would pay the bills. My question is should he write such a letter; would that make him liable for the bills? Thank you for any help in this matter.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

I would not advise that your son get involved with this at all. Because they weren't married, he is not responsible for the bills (generally would not be liable if they were married in non-community property states like Maryland). Thus, he has no liability, and I would be afraid that they would try to slip some paper to him that holds him responsible for the debts. Thus, it's better just not to get involved.