Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I have an 8 month old son and the mother practically refuses

I have an 8 month old son and the mother practically refuses to let me see him. I filed a child support case when he was 2 weeks old to get dna and my paternity. we have the cs hearing Jan 19. How do i get some rights to see my son?

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

Once the genetic testing is performed and you are determined to be the father then you can petition the court for custody and/or visitation rights with the child. The judge will issue a court order forcing the mother to at least let you see the child. If the mother continues to violate a court order of visitation/custody then you could go back to court and file either an enforcement/contempt petition or seek a modification of the order seeking sole custody.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we got the dna back last month but im not on the birth cert yet. can i file for part custody yet?
Once the DNA test proves that you are the father, the court should issue a court order of paternity declaring that you are the father. You can file for custody and visitation now by going to court to request and file a petition. You can use the court order to have your name listed on the birth certificate by contact the vital records department for west virginia.