Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in Pa. My wife left of her own free will due to no fault

I live in Pa. My wife left of her own free will due to no fault of my own. I've filled for a no-fault divorce , which she agreed to . She has an attorney tell her to add a clause stating I will give her x dollars foe x amount of time.
I didnt think anything like this could be "put" in the simple No-fault ,pro-se, divorce . I thought the no-fault had to be simple with only the forms supplied in the package. Can such a money agreement be put in the type of divorce filing I've already paid for .Or will it change the proceeding
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
She has an attorney who is looking to get money. You could agree to pay her money if you choose, but you do not owe her spousal support if you do not agree to pay it. This attorney is trying to get her money, but under the PA law, spousal support is not guaranteed by the law. Any of the forms you use in this divorce can be modified by agreement of the parties.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know you cann't answer detailed , avice type questions on this site. But I'll try this. I don't understand how the "Money" papers would be incorporated into the divorce decree. Would they just be added to the 4 signed pages I return to the prothonotory's office after the 90 days are up?.....Also would a totaly seperate , away from divorce procedings, say I agreed to x for x time and noterized be just as binding....I am not going to leave so to be ex , living under an overpass. But all I live on is SSDI and there are no other assets. I affraid the 40 % support or Alimony Pendente Lite claims will leave me unable to pay my bills?....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
dont like he knows Pa. divorce law ....answer was way off laws in state
Yes, I do know the laws of PA and as I told you, those forms you have can be modified any way the parties agree to modify them. If you agree to pay the alimony, which I would strongly advise you against, then this would be inserted as a clause in the property settlement form where you would insert a clause about paying her alimony for X amount of time. However, if you refuse to agree, the divorce would be placed on the contested docket.

You CAN also agree in a separate notarized contract to pay her money and it would be just as binding on you as if you included it in the property settlement agreement.