Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My husband is currently incarcerated. I am seeking a divorce

My husband is currently incarcerated. I am seeking a divorce and have full custody of our children. Is there anyway to seek some type of financial support through the state?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

By financial support do you mean to file divorce, or to get the state to pay you "alimony/child support" since your husband is currently incarcerated?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I am looking for the state to help with child support.
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I am afraid that the answer is no - the state does not provide additional child support payments. They can help you file for child support against him and of course the state provides various programs of benefit such as TANF...

http://www.dss.state.va.us/benefit/tanf/

...but it will not pay additional child support for him. I am sorry.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to click ACCEPT. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work – I receive no credit for my time with you unless you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you seek clarification or more information, I encourage you to use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to answer to your satisfaction – really – don’t be shy! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue the conversation. If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus in the form of another accept or an “add on” (available after you accept) is truly appreciated.