NateFamilyLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have worked with individuals regarding family law questions for 7 years

My company (American Airlines) is filing chapter 11. I am already

My company (American Airlines) is filing chapter 11. I am already retired and have been drawing retirement for 3 years, will this affect my retirement?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NateFamilyLaw replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

It is possible that the filing will affect retirees, as American Airlines has one of the highest paying pension programs in the industry. It is simply too early to tell what is going to happen on that front. If AA chooses to shed the pension plans, the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp will take over the pension plans and annual benefits will be capped at $54,000.00.

Again, that has not yet been addressed. A good recent story on what the bankruptcy filing will mean for the pension plans is here

If you require more information, I will be happy to follow up with you. In the meantime, please remember to click Accept so that I get credit for my time assisting you. If my answer has been especially helpful, please also consider a suitable BONUS.

And remember, I want you satisfied, so if I can help you further, please ask so that you can provide Positive Feedback once we've addressed your legal question to your satisfaction.