David L
David L, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions
11661736

I just went to court yesterday for mediation in regards to

I just went to court yesterday for mediation in regards XXXXX XXXXX of my 2 yr old son. We came to a shared parenting agreement, but as I am looking over the papers I am regreting agreeing to one certain part. My husband and I are moving to Ky due to the military, in this agreement I am listed as the residential parent for school purposes as long as I reside in the Ross Local School District, in Ross Ohio. However if I do not live in that district my sons father gets residential parent. The problem with that is we do not plan to move back to Ohio before my son is entered into school. What is the best thing for me to do at this point?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Hello. You best course of action is to contacting your husband and/or his attorney to discuss the open issue with the agreement. It very possibly could have been an unintentional oversight in the drafting of the agreement. You should ask for the change to be made. If he or they refuse, you can claim that this was an oversight and that the agreement needs to be changed for you to agree to a final divorce decree.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it make a difference that it has already been finalized? He was represented by a lawyer where I was not. My sons father and I were never married.
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Your final judgment hasn't been entered, right? You can still refuse to sign the final judgment. I would call them today to try to resolve. Worst case, you can always take this issue in front of the judge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the final judgement has been entered.
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Ok. This makes things much more of a challenge for you. You can motion to vacate the final judgment, which is not a simple process. You can also contact husband's attorney, as I mentioned above, and see if you can work something out in a simpler fashion without filing a motion to vacate. Those would be your two choices.
David L, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Practicing family law attorney in multiple jurisdictions