Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My divorce decree status that my ex-spouse should have no responsibility

My divorce decree status that my ex-spouse should have no responsibility for the home mortgage and second loan. The Texas bank took their name off the original but would not take their name off the second because the total appraised is above the 80% total value limit due to recession. How can I get the name off the second loan? There is no lawyer involved with the divorce, and I do not have the funds to pay the second off but can (and due) make the payments. This is starting to cause a lot of issues.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
In a divorce, the court cannot alter contractual relationships in place. This means that while the bank may have agreed to remove your spouse's name from the first mortgage, legally they did not have to do so. Thus, the only way to get their name removed from the second mortgage would be you would have to refinance the second mortgage if the bank refuses to release your spouse from that second mortgage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”