Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I live in TN. I have a PERMANENT PARENTING PLAN ORDER, which

I live in TN. I have a PERMANENT PARENTING PLAN ORDER, which says I am the Custodian parent and in the Major Decision Section of the ORDER, I am granted that the passport and international travel of the child is decided by me only. Then in the beginning of the ORDER it says the children will be with me 365 days a year and mother 0. My question is,
Can I use my PERMANENT PARENTING PLAN ORDER to get my kids a passport WITHOUT the consent of the Mother? Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney practicing in Tennessee.

Yes, if your court order says that you can apply for and obtain a passport individually - and without the consent of the other parent - you can apply on your own. You will need to provide a certified copy of the order with the application to prove that you've got the authority to get a passport without the mother's consent.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

two more questions:

1. My order just said that the passport and international travel of the child is decided by me in the Major Decision Section. Is that OK?

2. certified copy means Court certified copy

or

Notory public for true copy? Thanks.

Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

1. Yes, I think it means that you can get a passport without the mother signing off.

2. A certified copy is a copy from the court clerk that is stamped as certified.