Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I went to court in 2002 in Indiana to force a Dna test and

Customer Question

I went to court in 2002 in Indiana to force a Dna test and was denied to to a 2 yr statue of limitation.Now I find out all these yrs later the child is in Kansas in foster care due to his mother being in jail in Indiana on Felony non support of her oldest son.I've asked Kansas to grant me a Dna test and allow me to be the childs father but no one knows anything except they have to uphold old Indiana ruling.Is there any case close to this thats happened in the past that could help me out.Thanks Gaylon
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you have already been to court in Indiana and were denied, this means your case is considered "res judicata" (already decided) and if you missed the statute of limitations in IN, you cannot go to another state to raise the same issue if proper jurisdiction at the time you filed the case was in Indiana. Thus, I am afraid that it is too late to bring another case in another state and any other state would uphold the IN ruling.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was hoping the extreme measure of the child being removed from the mothers care and is in foster care at the states expense i might have a little leverage.Also the mother has moveed 7-9 times in the last 10 yrs so the boy has been to 6-7 different schools and he's now 12yrs old
That would not override the fact that you went to court and lost. The only thing you can do at this point, since the child is in the foster system, is that you would have to work with the mother AND the case worker for an adoption of the child.