Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hello. I am 22 years old. I was born in Oregon. The last question

Customer Question

Hello. I am 22 years old. I was born in Oregon. The last question I asked, I confirmed answered. However, I want to go even further with a new question. According to Oregon law, if you have committed rape, you can only be condemned within a 6 year period. Well, this happened 23 years ago (I suspect). I want to know who my real father is. Is there any way I can get someone to do a DNA test, even if they're uncomfortable with it? I could keep it private, sign paperwork for all that, etc. if need be. Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Under Oregon law, there is no statute of limitation to establish paternity. Thus, you can file for paternity and force the parent to submit to a DNA test through a court order. If the judge orders the DNA test, the parent will have no choice but to submit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is another question. It pertains to the subject. My mother put my adaptive father as my father on my birth certificate. Would this conflict with what you just stated?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.
No. You can still file a petition for paternity if you don't believe he is the father, or if you suspect someone else to be the father.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a possibility that my petition will get declined...?
Expert:  Roger replied 4 years ago.

Yes, anything is possible. However, if you can tell the judge that there's any reasonable basis that you are related, he is going to order the test. DNA tests are not invasive, so it's not some huge obligation to put on someone.