Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years

At what age can a child opt out of visitation with the non-custodial

At what age can a child opt out of visitation with the non-custodial parent in Wyoming?
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

A child does not get to decide until she turns 18. Prior to the child turning 18 the custodial parent would have to file a modification of visitation petition in court requesting a new court order changing visitation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Isn't there some kind of statement in the law that says that the child's opinion should be considered? In my experience teenagers have always been able to decide... this must just be done informally. Am I to assume that the only way a modification would be seriously considered would be in the case of serious concerns? (in other words, not our situation)
If the custodial parent files for a modification of visitation petition, the judge can talk with the child and that is a factor viewed by the judge but the judge is the one who makes the decision.
I am just informing you of the law. There is an urban myth that the child gets to decide but that is not the law. The reason why you problem think children decide is because in most cases the noncustodial parent usually agrees after the child has spoken with the judge so it appears that the child has decided when it fact it is a modified court order because both parents have eventually agreed to the change even if one parent truly didnt want to agree.