Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

my divorce decree states that my ex is responsible for medical

Customer Question

my divorce decree states that my ex is responsible for medical coverege and half of all medical bills for minor children. My daughter turned 18 in October of her senior year. The support continued but was he no longer resonsible for any medical coverage and half of the bills at that time even if she was 18 in high school? We have medical bills we are still paying on for that time.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: my divorce decree states that my ex is responsible for medical coverege and half of all medical bills for minor children. My daughter turned 18 in October of her senior year. The support continued but was he no longer resonsible for any medical coverage and half of the bills at that time even if she was 18 in high school? We have medical bills we are still paying on for that time.

Response: This would depend on the language of the divorce decree. So, you need to review it very carefully. Generally, the support and medical coverage continue when the child is still in high school or attending college eventhough the child is no longer a minor. If the support continues in your case, most likely, so would the medical coverage. They go hand in hand.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the language states"husband shall be resonsible for and shall pay 1/2 of the medical expenses incured by or on behalf of the minor child". The child support ended and the case was closed 10/28/11, right after she comlpeted a cna course. He says that he owes nothing in medical after she turned 18...ugh...

Response: Unfortunately, he is no longer responsible for half of the medical coverage. That is too bad.

Best wishes,