lwpat, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney

my ex wife and i have always verbaly decided how much i pay

Customer Question

my ex wife and i have always verbaly decided how much i pay her for child support since incomes always change is this legal in california
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The problem is if there is a court order. Anything that the two of you decide does not change the court order and if you pay less than the order you could be made to pay it in the future. You should have everything in writing if there is no order and keep proof of the payments and be sure the payment is by check marked as child support. It is legal to agree but you cannot change the order without going back to court.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so what will i have to do if she choses after 3 years to use this as a wepon?

Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
That is a question that I cannot answer for you. You need to get it straightened out now and you can go back to court and ask that the agreement be ratified by the court and any arrears vacated. The longer you wait and do not pay the court ordered amount the worse it will be.