RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

12 yrs after a divorce ex husband filed for bankruptcy. Stuck

12 yrs after a divorce ex husband filed for bankruptcy. Stuck with debt from a credit card.
that he never took my name off of. Do I have to pay this debt.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good evening.

RayAnswers :

The creditor here can come after you.The only way you can legally get out of this is by filing yourself.Otherwise I am afraid you are stuck.You could go back to divorce court because it is contempt--but a judge will not hold a person in contempt here where they have filed bankruptcy.Your options are limited here to bankruptcy if you want to seek discharge.When one spouse files it often triggers second bankruptcy for the person stuck here with joint debts.I wish I could give you more options but you are real limited once the ex filed assuming he gets the debt discharged and completes bankruptcy here.

RayAnswers :

I am trying to give you honest information--again I am sorry but the creditor can come after you here unless you file bankruptcy.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

RayAnswers :

Thanks you so much for the chat here.

RayAnswers :

Thank you so much for the chat here.