LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Family Law Attorney

Ex girlfriend doesnt want my name on our childs birth certificate

Ex girlfriend doesnt want my name on our childs birth certificate so I wouldnt have to pay child support. We are good friends and she knows I will support our child no matter what. If I put my name on the birth certificate do I automatically have to pay child support?
Submitted: 2 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 2 years ago.

LADY LAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you today.

LADY LAWYER :

No, you would not automatically have to pay support. She would have to get a court order for you to have to pay support or seek it through the TX Child Support Enforcement Office.

LADY LAWYER :

If your name is XXXXX XXXXX BC, it may be easier to seek support in the long run but if you plan to support the baby anyway, this should not be an issue.

Customer:

She was telling me that I would have to no matter what...Thats why I came on here for advise.. I want to have my rights over our child.

Customer:

Well I guess thats it for now. Thank you!!!

LADY LAWYER :

Understandable. You can also sign an affidavit of paternity stating that you are the father. If you want joint custody, you will have to file a Petition for Custody at your local county courthouse.

LADY LAWYER :

This will keep her from being able to move away with the child and you will have decision-making ability and visitation with your child even if things go sour between you and her at some point.

Customer:

She is going to let me see the child whenever I want to. We dont want to take anything to court. We dont want set dates for me to see her

LADY LAWYER :

That is awesome. To answer your question then, putting your name on the BC does not mean you will have to pay support in a set amount. You can just support your child as the child needs it without the intervention of the court.

LADY LAWYER :

If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them! If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. It would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

Customer:

Awesome...Thank you. This has been eating at me for a long time. Feel alot better now!!!

LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Experience: Family Law Attorney