RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Is there a such a law in divorce proceedings that if you havent

Is there a such a law in divorce proceedings that if you haven't had sex with your spouse in a year that is grounds for divorce for violation of contract or desertion?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, if you require additional information, press "REPLY" and I will be happy to assist you further.

Not in New York, no. There are 7 grounds for divorce in New York:

1. Irretrievable Breakdown: The relationship between you and your spouse has broken down irretrievably for at least six months. If you filed before October 12, 2010, you can not use this new reason. The court cannot give you a divorce on these grounds until after property, custody, visitation, spousal support, and child support have been settled or decided.

2. Cruel and inhuman treatment: "Cruel and inhuman treatment" by your spouse. This means that your physical or mental health is in danger if you continue living together. However, if the abusive treatment happened more than 5 years ago, you cannot divorce for this reason if your spouse objects.

3. Abandonment: Your spouse "abandons" you for at least a year. This means that your spouse has left you, or kicked you out, and does not intend to return.

4. Imprisonment: If your spouse goes to jail for three or more years. However, if your spouse was released more than 5 years ago, you cannot divorce for this reason.

5. Adultery: Your spouse commits adultery. However, this is not a reason for divorce if you do any of the following: encourage your spouse to commit adultery, forgive your spouse by having sexual relations with them after you discover the adultery, or commit adultery yourself. You also cannot divorce because of adultery if it has been more than 5 years since you discovered the adultery. You cannot testify yourself to prove adultery, so you must have a witness who can testify.

6. Judgment of Separation: You and your spouse have not lived together because of a "Decree of Separation" or "Judgment of Separation", given by the Court, for at least one year. You must obey all the conditions of the decree or judgment. It is unusual to have a Judgment of Separation because it requires similar proof to that needed for a divorce. Most people skip the Judgment and go directly to divorce.

7. Separation Agreement: You and your spouse have not lived together because of a written "Agreement of Separation" for at least one year. Both you and your spouse must sign this agreement before a notary. You must obey all the conditions of the agreement.

In some states, it may be possible to annul a marriage where it has not been consumated, but I know of no state where lack of sexual relations is grounds to terminate a marriage.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Did you have a follow-up question you needed clarified? My system is telling me that you require additional assistance but I don't see a reply from you.