LegalPro, Lawyer
Experience:  33 years experience in domestic relations and family law practice.

If I have a child that has special needs and could potentially put himself in danger if he

If I have a child that has special needs and could potentially put himself in danger if he got of his room, would you say it's ilegal to lock his bedroom door at night? I have a video monitor in his room and he is still wearing diapers at 8 years old. I wake up anytime he is upset because he needs to be changed, needs a drink or wants his tv turned on. He is very loved and well taken care. Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalPro replied 4 years ago.
I would say, no, under described circumstances it would not be illegal to lock his room. Whatever must be undertaken to secure his safety and security should be done. I am sure that ample planning has been done so that he could be readily removed from the room and rescued in the case of an emergency. Along with the application of all necessary safeguards, the act of locking the room door itself would not be illegal.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How would I be able to confirm that it in the State of Washington this would not be viewed as being illegal? I have an ex wife that says this is illegal. I have always done everything I can to make sure that my son's special needs are met and he is loved and cared for, but I need to know if that's illegal in the State of Washington. Thank you.
Expert:  LegalPro replied 4 years ago.
I think that it would be difficult to locate a specific statute on the legality of door locking or unlocking. Such would entirely depend on the circumstances. Law would rather require the maintenance of safe conditions considering all factors. Ask the ex if she knows the specific statue or regulation that renders the locked door illegal. What if you had an Alzheimer's patient who would wonder away?