Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

My son was recently release from a mental facility after 72

My son was recently release from a mental facility after 72 hours, whcih is the law in Nevada. I have done some research and found an area called "Involuntary Commitment" where as if I file a petition with the court they could keep him up to six months. How would I go about this? Do have have to get him back in the hospitol prior to filing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

I'm very sorry to hear about this problem.

You stated he was released. Has there been any new dangerous activity or harm since his release?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, Suidide note taped to his front door. He doesn't care about anything. He lost his friends, Fiance, and job and now the house. He is delusional beyond believe.
You can seek an Involuntary commitment which can be up to 6 months. You need to filing a petition with the clerk of the district court of the county where the person who is to be treated resides. The petition may be filed by the spouse, parent, adult children or legal guardian of the person to be treated or by any physician, psychologist, social worker or registered nurse, by an accredited agent of the Department or by any officer authorized to make arrests in the State of Nevada. The petition must be accompanied: (a) By a certificate of a physician, psychiatrist or licensed psychologist stating that he or she has examined the person alleged to be a person with mental illness and has concluded that the person has a mental illness and, because of that illness, is likely to harm himself or herself or others if allowed his or her liberty; or (b) By a sworn written statement by the petitioner that: (1) The petitioner has, based upon the petitioner’s personal observation of the person alleged to be a person with mental illness, probable cause to believe that the person has a mental illness and, because of that illness, is likely to harm himself or herself or others if allowed his or her liberty; and (2) The person alleged to be a person with mental illness has refused to submit to examination or treatment by a physician, psychiatrist or licensed psychologist.