How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Location Walnut, California My siblings and I are looking

Resolved Question:

Location: Walnut, California: My siblings and I are looking into the process of having my mom apply and be approved for California Medi-Cal so she can qualify and be enrolled in the "In Home Service Assistance (IHSS)" program. She is in the advanced stages of Parkinson's and both my mother and father are living with my sister's family and would need in home assistance. My mom currently is not a Medi-Cal recipient and would like to apply and qualify. We understand that there are income limitations and we would like to know what's involved in asset transfer process so she can qualify for Medi-Cal and what is the process for the application. My parents do not own a home, but do have a family trust fund and receive monthly social security payments. What's involved in qualifying and applying for California Medi-Cal? Who can help us with the asset transfer process, if needed.

Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

This is the website where you can start the application since I assume that they are over 65.

  • If your income is less than Medi-Cal limits for your family size, you will receive Medi-Cal services at no cost to you. (Refer to All County Welfare Directors Letter (ACWDL) 11-16 to view the Income Limit Chart.)
  • If your income is more than Medi-Cal limits for your family size, you will have to pay a certain amount only in the month you have medical expenses. The amount that you pay is called your share of cost (SOC). When you pay or promise to pay that amount, we say that you have met your SOC. Once you have met your SOC, Medi-Cal will pay the rest of your covered medical bills for that month. For example, if your SOC is $50, you must first pay or obligate (obtain your providers agreement to make payments on the SOC) $50. Your provider will enter the amount you paid or obligated into the Department's database. Your case will certify when the amounts you paid or obligated equal the amount of your share of cost. Once your share of cost is certified; providers checking your eligibility will advised that you are eligible and covered services may now be billed to the Medi-Cal program. Please note, expenses incurred by ineligible members of your family may be used to meet the share of cost of eligible members.

The assets in the trust are countable assets so that will probably make them ineligible. You cannot gift the assets or that will also make them ineligible, there is a five year lookback period.

You might try one of these providers if they are in your area as there may be an in home program eligibility

  • On Lok Senior Health Services
    Grace Lee, Director
    XXXXXbr/> San Francisco, CANNN-NN-NNNNbr/> (NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>


  • Sutter Senior Care
    Janet Tedesco, Administrator
    XXXXXbr/> Sacramento, CA 95818
    (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

  • Center for Elders' Independence
    Peter Szutu, President & CEO
    1955 San Pablo Avenue
    Oakland, CA 94612
    (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

  • AltaMed Health Services
    Maria S. Torres, Senior Vice President
    XXXXX Suite 490
    Los Angeles, CA 90040
    (NNN) NNN-NNNN/li>
here is a good overview of Medi-Cal that you may want to print out

If you need professional assistance try the list at

You probably need someone to review the family trust and determine if it is possible to use what is called a "Miller Trust" in order for one or both to become eligible. That is really beyond what I can explain in this forum.
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25386
Experience: Practicing family law attorney
lwpat and 8 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Family Law Questions