Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

My daughter is married to a young man who has been in the Army

Customer Question

My daughter is married to a young man who has been in the Army since 2007. He and my daughter have been seperated since 2009. He is stationed in Washington State and we live in Georgia. He stopped sending her any money this past March to help take care of their 2 boys. WE then find out he came home to Georgia and he told us that he got kicked out of the army. WEll that was not the case. He was AWOL apparently. They have since picked him up and sent him back to Washington state. She needs to get a Divorce but has no job and no money. What route can she take to get this resolved.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

She can contact JAG for help or she can go to legal aid to see if she can get free help.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I already knew that. Thought you could give us some insight on what would happen and how to go about not who to contact.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, JAG will not deal with divorces, there is no law about divorce under the Military Code. If she is residing the state of GA she can file for divorce in GA and she will have to have him served in WA using a process server there if he will not agree to the divorce uncontested. If she cannot afford an attorney she will have to contact legal aid or she will need to call the state bar and ask for the pro bono attorneys in her area who can file the divorce for her and have him served in WA and then the divorce can proceed. It is not true that they cannot handled the divorce in GA because he is in WA, it is more they do not want to be bothered by dealing with out of state service through the military, but it is done all of the time and she will just need to contact the state bar and seek a pro bono attorney there who will assist her.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.