Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

My husband and I are divorcing in Florida. We have agreed on

My husband and I are divorcing in Florida. We have agreed on an amount for alimony and child support. If we both agree and sign the papers, does a Judge still look over all the figures and have a right to modify it if he fills iy is not appropriate?

Thank You,
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Yes, a court will typically review the agreement to determine whether any part of it is unconscionable to one party of the other. It must be extremely unfair though typically before a court would refuse to incorporate it into the divorce decree since courts usually encourage the parties to come to an agreement on their own.

In all likelihood it will be adopted by the court and entered as a court order.

I hope you found my answer helpful; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.