Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I have consent order with my Childs mother for child support

I have consent order with my Childs mother for child support and visitation - judge signed off on what we agreed upon. This was completed in Raleight NC. We want new terms - we agreed to a different amount - I was wondering if we had to go to court again to have a judge sign off on it or if just a notorized letter would suffice. Basically she agreed to a lesser amount of child support and I don't want her to try to get me for back pay later on - again our original agreement was signed off by a judge.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To protect yourself, it's better to have the change approved by the judge. The two of you can type up a Joint Motion to Modify Child Support, with the new amounts. If you both agree, it should be pretty easy to get the judge to sign - you shouldn't even need to go to court.

With that said, you will need to show the judge a reason for modifying the support. Usually, that's going to be a material change in circumstances - a decrease to your income, an increase in expenses, or an increase in her expenses. Also, the judge will only approve it if the amount is at least the amount specified in the guidelines, so you may want to double-check to be sure.