RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Hello, My name is MOnica! My husband has an retirement plan

My name is MOnica! My husband has an retirement plan on his name made by the hospital where he's working. I want to know what's happens if we get divorce? Do I have the right by low to take a half of his retirement economies? He's saving a lot in the retirement plan and I don't have any retirement plan...I just want to know if something bad happened with do I have any rights to obtain any money from his retirement plan?
What if he buy a house on his name during our marriage ? Can he sell the house without me ? Do I have the right for that house?
Thank you!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.

Michigan is an equitable distribution state, meaning in a divorce, any assets acquired during the marriage are subject to an equitable, or fair (but not necessarily equal) distribution between the parties. With respect to the retirement fund, any monies contributed during the marriage are subject to division. In other words, if he had $10,000 in the account before you were married, that is his money, but if he put another $20,000 into it during the marriage, that can be split during a divorce.

If the home was purchased during the marriage, even though it may be in only his name, it is still considered a marital asset, so if you divorce, or he sells the home, you are still entitled to a portion of the equity in the home.

*****************************************************************************************************

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR" SERVICE. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code and pay me as you would any other professional.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, RETIREMENT PLAN is considered "asset acquired during marriage"?
This is the low for Michigan state , or for all the states in USA?
It is possible to move in another state...that 's why I want to know!
Than you!

Any monies that he contributes to the retirement plan during your marriage is considered a marital asset and subject to distribution. It doesn't matter where you move, all states are going to view it the same way.