Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Hello, I would like to know how to squash a legal summons for

Hello, I would like to know how to squash a legal summons for my medical records in a divorce proceeding. Thank You
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You would file a "Motion to Quash" which is a motion telling the court that the subpoena should not be honored because of some legitimate reason. For your medical records you have to argue that there is nothing in those records that is relevant to the matter being heard by the court and you would ask the court to examine those records "in camera" to see for themselves that there is nothing relevant in them nor would they lead to anything relevant and they are only being sought for the purpose to embarrass, annoy or harass you. You need to be also ready to file a second motion if they deny the motion to quash, which is a Motion for Protective Order, which states that in the event the court refuses to quash the subpoena you request they issue a protective order which prevents the other party from releasing or using the records for any manner other than in the divorce.

You would get the copy of these motions to follow from the form books at your court library from the librarian. Here is also a sample of a Motion to Quash for you to see, SAMPLE Motion to Quash. If the court denies the first motion, then in court you immediately file the motion for protective order for the records.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”