FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My sons divorce will be final soon. He just lost his job&will

My son's divorce will be final soon. He just lost his job&will have difficulty paying child support. H e has left the state to find work. What are his options for adjusting payment until he is can pay the full support again, and what are his legal rights as far as having his children with him out of state? The bank will soon own their house & there are few assets left.He is committed to supporting his family . He went through the divorce with no atty. so the terms were not favorable for him.I'm sure this is not an uncommon circumstance in these times. Please advise.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

I certainly understand the situation. If there has been a substantial change in circumstances, he can try and get the amount of support modified. This does not mean his obligation to pay would go away, but it could possible be reduced and he may have to pay the difference down the road. As far as him having the children with him out of the state, this would be an issue of child custody which needs to be addressed with the court, prior to finalizing the divorce. The court will decide if there will be full or shared custody by the parent and then the issue about visitation. If he is out of State, visitation needs to be set up so the other parent knows when the children can see him and over what period of time.