ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law

Can a child ever to reunited with a parent whose parental rights

Customer Question

Can a child ever to reunited with a parent whose parental rights have been terminated?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 2 years ago.

ANDREA, :

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer. Thank you for your question.
My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney and would be glad to help

ANDREA, :

Are you asking if the parent who relinquished their parental rights can have their child back ?

Or, are you asking, if the parent and child can see one another ?

Customer:

I'm asking if the parent can regain legal custody -- not just see each other.

Customer:

The child now wants to live with the parents, so the question is whether he can do so, but that even then the legal parent would continue to be the grandparents.

ANDREA, :

If you are asking if the parent can have their child back, then I would have to say that theAnswer is no, but I have to qualify that by saying that if the parent was forced, or coerced into relinquishing he parental rights, or was not legally capable of relinquishing her parental rights, then the parent can Petition the Court to re-open her case so that she could giver her side of the story as to how the relinquishment came about.

ANDREA, :

Q. How old is the child now ?

Q. Under what circumtances did the mother relinquish her parental rights ?

Q. Or, did the Court terminate her parental rights ?

Customer:

Can the child live with the biological parent, if all parties agree, even if the legal rights remain with teh grandparents? i assume this would mean that all legal issues (medical, schooling, etc.) would continue to be handled by grandparents. The child is 14. The court terminated the parents rights.

ANDREA, :

If all parties agree, then the child can live with the biological parents. However, the biological parents would not be able to obtain physical or legal custody in the situation you just described - that the parents' parental rights were involuntarily terminated by the Court. And, any Complaint for Custody, physical or legal, would be summarily dismissed by the Judge

Customer:

Thank you very much. That is all I need right now.

ANDREA,, Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law