Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My ex husband wants to cut my alimony in half but we are negotiating

Customer Question

My ex husband wants to cut my alimony in half but we are negotiating the amount. He hired a private judge but only the attorneys have met the judge
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

What do you mean when you say "private judge", as there is no such thing.

Are you referring to some type of a binding arbitration that involves an arbitrator?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess. We hired a judge during our divorce instead of having to go to court. My ex paid for the same judge and I was told that we'd have him make a ruling just like before. I thought that we'd talk with him. He is an arbitrator judge but my attorney doesn't want me to mention anything about unpaid alimony and now I'm told that I won't even see e judge? My attorney is young and my ex has a team of lawyers. My attorney also offered me a deal but said we are offering a certain amount and I gave him a look and said, We. He corrected himself but this who,e thing sounds crazy.
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
This sounds very suspicious and sounds like your ex-husband might have hand picked this arbitrator (who is not a judge, but might be an attorney or a former judge who is simply acting upon both party's agreement as a judge / decision maker in the case), and might have this arbitrator in his pocket and what you are describing about your attorney raises very serious doubts about his competence or integrity...

While I do not know the facts about your particular case or the amount of the alimony that is at stake, based on the facts stated, I would strongly suggest to you that you do seek an advise of experienced and reputable local family law attorney, who can review you entire situation and can also review all the documents related to your case and can provide you with an independent competent legal advise and representation, as it seems to me based on the facts stated, that your husband might be taking advantage of you is this situation in more ways than you can see.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your answer and I will accept but I I'd like to give you some more information. I know that my husband is underhanded, the amount of money involved is substantial and I was afraid that the judge was bought. I believe he is a retired judge who does arbitration but he gave me a generous amount of alimony, forever plus half of everything I was entitled to at our divorce. Today when I told my attorney I would consider an offer as long as I discussed it first with the judge, he freaked and told me that it's not done that way. My ex is very successful but I never knew he had powerful friends. It's crazy and my lawyer, I thought was reputable but now I doubt it. I've paid him all I can afford so not sure how I can afford another attorney. He did say that my ex would proceed to trial if I don't agree which I think would be to my advantage, except I live in Contra Costa County and it's different here! Any more advice? I'm out of my league here and have nobody to turn to so I'd appreciate any advice . I'm a wimp when it comes to standing up for myself.
Thank you for your follow up.

Generally the parties would not discuss any settlement with the judge / arbitrator, because the judge / arbitrator has to remain impartial and cannot provide any legal advise to the litigant.

So to that degree your attorney is right, as you would normally discuss any settlement offer with your attorney and not the judge / arbitrator. The only thing that the judge / arbitrator would do is as both sides if they have voluntarily have entered into a settlement agreement and also would make sure that the agreement is not unlawful.

I would still strongly suggest that you do get a second opinion from a local divorce attorney who can at least review your situation and advise you if you are getting a fair deal here.