Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

My wife and I have been separated for a little over a year.

My wife and I have been separated for a little over a year. We didn't file for a legal separation in the state of Maryland, but have not been living together. She is now not allowing me to see my daughter on my days off. How would I go about taking her to court for child support so that I may obatian court-ordered visitation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer! I'm T-USA and I'll be happy to provide some valuable information!

I am working on an answer to your question now. Please be patient and I will post the answer as soon as possible. This may take a little time, as it may require some research and it takes some time to type up a response.

Thank you!
Child support and court-ordered visitation are separate matters. A noncustodial parent doesn't have to take the custodial parent to court to establish a child support order so that he can petition for visitation. Instead, the parent can simply petition to establish visitation and, if the other parent wishes to pursue child support, that parent may do so. Such a petition is filed at the Clerk of Court's Office. Though it's usually preferable to retain an attorney for such matters, an individual may do so himself if he wishes.

Visitation is established according to a child's best interests. In general, courts find that it's in a child's best interests to have both parents involved in the child's life provided that both parents are fit. Therefore, a parent will generally receive some degree of visitation, though the visitation awarded should be determined according to a child's interests.

I know that this answer may not be entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I rely on your honor to earn my living and I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information. If you don't click accept, I don't get paid anything at all.

If you have a follow-up question, please be sure to ask it using the REPLY feature and I will respond as promptly as possible. In some instances, depending on how long you wait to reply, there may be a delay in my response as I may be taking a necessary break from work.

Thank you again for coming to JustAnswer!
Thoreau (T-USA), Lawyer
Experience: Attorney