John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.

My son is 15 and is being mentally abused by his dad. We are

Customer Question

My son is 15 and is being mentally abused by his dad. We are recently divorced (June 1) and he hates living there. We currently have split custody, but I need to know what my options are, if any, to get sole custody. It's a heartbreaking situation.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

A parent can file a motion to modify custody. At about age 12-15 courts will listen to the wishes of the minor child about where the child would prefer to stay and regarding any verbal or physical abuse. The court can do this in chambers, outside of the general courtroom. Here are the forms needed to file a motion to modify custody.

I am cannot provide you with specific legal advise. I can provide you with general information about the law related to your inquiry. I hope you find my response helpful, please click on the ACCEPT button. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work assisting you. Clicking Accept will not close your question. You can still ask, and I will respond, to follow-up questions if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required but they are appreciated!

When you review my initial response, please remember that I cannot guess what information you may already know unless you tell me. I am answering the question(s) posed by you based upon my reading of your post and sometimes I can misunderstand or misinterpret your question. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please rephrase your specific question.

Sometimes the law does not support what you would like it to support. It is my job to give you an understanding of the state of the law, not just tell you what you want to hear. I ask that you respect that fact that you received an accurate account of the law by clicking Accept and giving me positive feedback.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more between my responses to your follow up questions because I may be helping other customers or have stepped away.

I appreciate repeat customers. You can request me by beginning your question with “Dear XXXX…”

My answer, and any information that you can find online, should not take the place of having a detailed consultation with a lawyer in your area to advise you regarding your specific issues.