John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.

Is a child at age 17 in Texas considered an adult and not under

Is a child at age 17 in Texas considered an adult and not under the jurisdiction of a district court regarding custody? We have heard that at 17 a person is considered an adult (from reliable law enforcement professionals), but our lawyer tells us that at 17 a child is still required to comply with a custody decision made by a district court.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

A 17 year old is still a minor. If the child or responsible parent does not comply with a custody order then the parent can be held in contempt of court.

Law enforcement may have been referring to the criminal treatment of a 17 year old. That is completely different and likely that a 17 year old can be treated like an adult in criminal court.