GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti

I live in Illinois with my children and have joint custody

I live in Illinois with my children and have joint custody but they reside with me. Their father currently lives a short distance from us. I have just been informed that their father and his current family are relocating to Wisconsin for his wife to be closer to her family. However, he is demanding more blocks of time with the children and for me to make the bimonthly trip to transport the children to him. I am not sure if this is my responsbility since he is the one moving.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 5 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Actually it is NOT your responsibility. The parent who relocates is charged with the responsibility to pay for transporting the children for visitation, so he should talk to an attorney and he will be informed of this fact. His decision to move means he has to pay the costs to see the children as no one has asked him to move. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.