Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I am a 56 yr old male who has a rare, uncurable, fatal disease.

I am a 56 yr old male who has a rare, uncurable, fatal di/sease. My vicious sisters are trying to have me institutionalised, claiming I am incapable of caring for myself (Partly because I smoke.) They successfully pulled off a similar stunt 3yrs ago by having me sent to rehab. During that week they took over $100,000 worth of the things I inherited. And I was told on the third day of rehab that I no business being there. I.e., they are perfectly willing to lie under oath. I believe now they are seeking to gain legal custody over me and have me locked up somewhere. How can I get help and protect my freedom? My one sister had not been to my house for 30yrs. My other sister is bipolar and has been hospitalized several times. She also is an alcoholic.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

How old are you and what is your diagnosis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am 56 . My diagnosis is AnkylosingSpondylitis
Are you residing by yourself currently and were you served with any type of legal guardianship petition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am residing by myself in a home that I have owned for 18 years.

I have not been served with any legal guardianship papers.

Can you describe more specifically what your sisters are doing that gives you an idea that they are trying to have you institutionalized?

Also have you ever been declared incompetent by the court?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
  • For awhile they kept having an "elder" agency check on me. Someone would be sent to see if I had food, how my house was kept, etc. You have to understand that this was harassment, not loving care. It would happen right after I asked for money because they had caused me to lose one-third of my small disability income. Meanwhile, they are both millionaires. I informed this agency they were being used to harass me, and I've never seen them again. This morning I was contacted by the agency "Anthem" for the third time. You are only allowed to work with them once. (My one sister has very high up connections with these agencies.)
  • Not that I am aware of. It was a"secret" and sealed probate court. I was not represented by anyone, nor was I present.
What do you mean by your third reply:

about a secret and being sealed in probate court?

Can you please elaborate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told it was a secret/permanently sealed court proceeding, held in Family Probate court. I am under the impression my psychotherapist and psychiatrist were there. (I mainly deal with chronic depression. (And had recently learned of my fatal disease. My pain management doctor had me on an enormous amount of painkillers.) And my sisters were there. (Mainly because I had slurred speech on the phone.) I was unaware of the proceedings...until seven policeman walked into my home. No paperwork;nothing. Also, both of my sisters live out of state. I tried to get a record of my own court proceedings but they would not give me one.

This can be a serious legal issue. I would suggest that you consult with an experienced local elder law/legal guardianship attorney who can actually request the records and can protect your legal rights, as if someone is declared incompetent, this person no longer has any decision making authority and all the decision are made by a court appointed legal guardian.

An experienced attorney can check and see if any of your legal rights were violated or if due process was violated by your sisters and challenge this proceedings in court.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.

Bonus and positive feedback are always greatly appreciated!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Licensed experienced Attorney
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just need to know if there are time limits on this type of case. I believe it occurred 8/6/2008.

Should I avoid a free legal attorney. I haven't much funds but I've lost over $300,000.

I realize one big mistake was not filing a police report for the missing items.

That's all. Thank you so much.

I would strongly suggest that you contact a private attorney, as a private elder law/legal guardianship attorney would have more time and resources to dedicate to your case.

Also if you think that your sisters have simply stolen all this money from you, the same attorney will be able to look into this matter as well and they might still be prosecuted, even though it took place 3 years ago.