FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

In California, is it uncommon in a settlement to give a lump

In California, is it uncommon in a settlement to give a lump sum of cash and spousal support when no children are involved?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 5 years ago.

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer. I will be the expert that will be helping you today. I look forward to helping you solve your problem.

It is not that it is uncommon but you depend on the financial situation of the paying spouse. Often times, a party does not have enough money in the bank, to pay a lump sum and get it over with. Moreover, some parties would rather use that money for other purposes and just pay as needed. They may want to use it for investment purposes or gain interest on it, instead of just paying it out and being without that disposable cash, in case they need it. It is a good way to get it over with and avoid having to worry about it over the years if a person can afford it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I would probably being paying her a big lump sum amount. I just think it not fair for her to be asking for both. The fact is she is working too. So with this being said, is it common to give a lump sum and spousal support? how would a judge favor it?
Normally, you would make monthly payments. An amount of support would be determined by the court and the Judge would likely let you pay it each month. It is not up to her to decide if she should get a lump sum and then payments over the years. You can ask the Judge to allow you to make payments each month and not require a lump sum payment.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, in the long and short - it is either a lump sum or alimony (monthly payments0.
Yes, the payment could be either made all at one time or monthly payments. It would depend on your ability to pay a lump sum and if you would even want to do that. Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please click the accept button, so I can get credit for my answer.