JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I live in a mobile home park in Ohio. I rent the mobile home from an individual not the p

I live in a mobile home park in Ohio. I rent the mobile home from an individual not the park owner. Does the park owner have the right to make me vacte the premises and move the mobile home that does not belong to me? Under duress we we were forced to agree to vacate.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
They have the power to ask you to vacate and to tell someone to move the trailer although there is no way they can make YOU move it if you don't own it. If you had a written lease for a specific term you may be able to recover your moving expenses if you were made to move before the term of the lease was up. If there was not a written lease then you had a month to month lease and they could ask you to leave at any time.

There is no "first right of refusal" unless it is a specific condition of a contract, usually written.

By the "could they sue you" question I wasn't meaning that they were really going to sue you, just trying to get you to look at the question of whether there was a contract from another angle.

The other "conditional contracts" like financing, inspection, etc. specifically spell out on them the conditions and what effect they have on a contract so that the conditions, in effect, become a part of the contract. There really isn't any wiggle room because the condition is usually related to some type of performance by a third party, different than what you had here.

I still think you're going to have problems proving that there was a contract. However, if you can make the argument that they approved the condition then you MIGHT be able to argue that the deal to let you take the drawers and look elsewhere and spend all that time and effort was either 1) a part of your contract or 2) a separate contract in and of itself.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.