Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

If a minor child (17 yrs old & a senior in high school) that

If a minor child (17 yrs old & a senior in high school) that I pay child support for moves to another state to live with another family member (not my family), am I still obligated to send child support to my ex, even though she does not live with her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - I f your court order has not been changed then you have to continue to pay the support to her as she is the legal custodial parent. You can file a motion with the court to have the payments transferred to the third party but I can't see wasting your money to do that since you would still have to pay the support until the order is terminated. Technically there should have been a legal change of custody but all of this requires going to court and having the custody and support orders changed. You have a right to do this but, as I said, it may not be worth the cost.