John Domestic
John Domestic, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 13 years of Experience in Family Law.
18914223

My girlfriend and and i are separated for good. She is four

Customer Question

My girlfriend and and i are separated for good. She is four months pregnant with my daughter. I moved about 11 hours away and took a job offer and now she is telling me that
ill never be a part of the childs life. Her and her mother put a protective order against me and said they are taking legal action to make sure im not a part of the baby's life. What should in do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  John Domestic replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

What state is your girlfriend in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Texas

Once the child is born, if they do not place you on the birth certificate then you can file a petition to establish paternity in family court. If you are determined by court order as the legal father you can file for visitation and custody rights. If you are determined to be the father then you will possibly also be liable for child support.

Here is a great description of what you will have to go through with a paternity case:

http://www.jerrymelton.com/paternity.htm