How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32413
Experience:  29 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Q.1) how do I file (correct format specifically) for a continuance in AL court when I can&

Resolved Question:

Q.1) how do I file (correct format specifically) for a continuance in AL court when I can't go there personally to file the motion? My divorce is in AL, I live in GA since April2011 the only job I could find.
Q2# XXXXX my reasons for continuance valid/compelling to be granted> a# XXXXX need I find a lawyer. I have new job. Driving 3 hours ea way to court means a full day off the job. #FYI,I was specifically hired to be trained,then to step in during a maternity absence. The baby is due 10/5/11, but early intervention is expecting next week. My employer was sympathetic to my time off to close the house sale, pack and move furniture into storage. A dauting task given the buyer inisted on quick closing#.
I am being thrown under the bus by Plaintiff's counsel with various activites NOW whereas before there was footdragging. To date Plaintiff has succesfully avoided providing financial records yet there is a motion before the judge #actually a draft of an order for the judge to sign that
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

RayAnswers :

Your best option would be to have the lawyer file for continuance as it is likely to be granted since they were recently hired.

RayAnswers :


The Lawyer Referral Service is a service of the ALABAMA STATE BAR. Its purpose is to assist in finding a lawyer to provide advice on legal problems. It is the only lawyer referral service operated by the Alabama State Bar. All panel members of the Lawyer Referral Service are licensed lawyers in Alabama and are members in good standing of the Alabama State Bar.

Lawyer Referral Service members will sometimes include many counties in their area of practice. This is acceptable for special areas of practice, however, if you feel that you need an attorney closer to your possible legal problem, please e-mail us at and we will attempt to narrow down your search. Thank you for using the online referral service.

Members of the United States Armed Forces

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT]Members of the Alabama National Guard (Air/Army) and Alabama State Defense Force[/ALT][WIDTH]233.91812865497076[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Please join the Lawyer Referral Service. Attorneys who join have the option of offering a 25% discount for legal representation for all members of the military. Send your lawyer referral request to, instead of obtaining your own referral from the online lawyer referral service. At this time, the online lawyer referral service does not indicate which attorneys are providing legal representation for members of the military. When you submit your request for a referral, remember to include your name and city of your legal concern, so that we may refer an attorney. We will respond to your request as soon as possible Monday through Friday. Thank you.

Lawyer Referral Directory - ABA

Lawyer Referral Service
XXXXXbr/> Montgomery, AL 36104
ASB phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> ASB fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/> LRS phone: 1-800-392-5660


The referral attorney agrees to charge no more than $50.00 for the first 30-minute consultation. If your problem requires work beyond this time, and you decide to hire the lawyer, be sure to discuss any additional fees. An attorney bases his/her fee on the time and type of work involved, the difficulty in solving the problem and your needs as the client. The Lawyer Referral Service encourages you to ask for a written fee agreement before you proceed with any legal work beyond the first 30-minute consultation.

RayAnswers :

I think that a lawyer can get this matter reset without you being present.

RayAnswers :

Get the case number XXXXX court here and draft your own setting out your reasons and file it with court.

RayAnswers :

Comes now .............................., as Defendants and would move to
continue the current trial setting of ..................................................., 2011 and as grounds therefore would aver as

RayAnswers :


RayAnswers :


RayAnswers :


RayAnswers :

Wherefore premises Defendant/Petitioner (not sure who filed) prays that this matter be continued and for such other and further relief to which they may be entitled.

RayAnswers :

Respectfully submitted,

RayAnswers :

Your name, Defendant/Plainitff

RayAnswers :

Something leike this if you have to do it yourself.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.



Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.



I am accepting and will do so shortly. I like the idea of the $50 consultation and hiring someone, get that continuance out of the way, then deal with the broader issues of my divorce. Should I or could I reasonably expect someone to respond today when I send the email to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX?

RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 32413
Experience: 29 years as a family law lawyer .
RayAnswers and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: