Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am seperated from my husband. I currently reside in Florida

Customer Question

I am seperated from my husband. I currently reside in Florida and our car is registered to him or me. Can I sell this car to my father. He wants to take the car from me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

You state that the vehicle is registered to you or him, meaning the names on the title read "You or Him?"
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you recieve my response on the registration?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
No, I did not, can you please re-send it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car is registered in robert or amber browns name. He wants to take the car from me and has an extra set of keys. I was wanting to sell it to my dad. Will that cause any legal problems?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Both of you can act on it in your own right, and you do not need each other's permission. Therefore, if it says "OR," then you should be able to sell it to your father without his signature. However, he can always attempt to take it before that, and he would lawfully doing so - before it is sold. Afterwards, it would be your father's.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT, even if you already have a subscription. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.