LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My husbands divorce decree from his previous marriage states

Customer Question

My husbands divorce decree from his previous marriage states that if the property that him and his ex-wife had is sold while either one is living, the equity will be split equally. He also signed a quitclaim deed on his interest of this property. Does this supersede the divorce decree or is it still valid?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Why, in the world, would your husband have signed a quit claim deed to the property over to his ex? When did he do this?

Doug
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He did this in 2008, she told him that it was required. He didn't ask questions.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

He may have to file suit against her for fraud in order to have the opportunity to undo this mess. The quit claim deed---presuming that it was given after the divorce, will be argued by his ex as constituting a gift, for which took precedence over the divorce decree.

This is possible to reverse but your husband is going to need the help of a seasoned family law attorney to get it done and I suggest that he have a consultation in the immediate future. The longer he waits, the less likely he will be able to prove fraud.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system as regards Accepting answers. I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,

Doug