P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.

Hello, my wife and I are in our 50s, and have been married

Hello, my wife and I are in our 50's, and have been married for 5 years. My 2nd marriage, her 3rd. We live in Florida, which is not a community property state.
Just before we got married, we both signed a prenup. It basically says that our respective assets are to be kept separate during the marriage, and in the event that we divorce. We do not own anything jointly.
I currently own 3 condominiums, all of which are in my name. I paid for them with cash, that came from an inheritance given to me, before I met my wife. I have documentation for all of this.
My wife is asking for a divorce, but has not yet retained counsel. I do not want to get divorced, and leave it up to my wife to file. My question to you is, what can I expect to lose in terms of my assets, in the event she serves me with a divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe? You would keep all your property. Even with NO prenup, since you purchased the property prior to marriage and paid cash, and kept in your name, you own the property.

The fact you have a prenup that basically says the same thing (you keep your property) will only strengthen your case

May want to try and work this out without can both save money if you do