JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

My former daughter-in-law has custody of my granddaughter in

My former daughter-in-law has custody of my granddaughter in Waco, TX. Her ex-husband, my granddaughter's step-father has filed for custody of the child in New York. The child was born in Hawaii and my son has always paid child support through the child welfare services there. The judge in New York has told the mother that she needs to transfer the child's cas from Hawaii to Texas before the next hearing which is 2 weeks from now.
What is the procedure for doing this?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
There is no method for transferring a case from one state to another in Texas. What she has to do is file a case in Texas and then ask the TX court to recognize the case file from Hawaii. She will need to get a certified copy of the Hawaii file and then file it in Texas.

Texas acquired jurisdiction over the child once she lived in Texas for six months.

She can then object in NY based on no jurisdiction and state that TC has the case and that TX has jurisdiction based on residency.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am signed up on the unlimited subscription program for just answer. How do i credit this question to that subscription?
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 5 years ago.
If you hit ACCEPT it should register automatically. As long as you don't open another account it shouldn't ever charge you more than you agreed to.