NateFamilyLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have worked with individuals regarding family law questions for 7 years

My son has a 6 year old daughter and only gets her on Thursdays,

My son has a 6 year old daughter and only gets her on Thursdays, and the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends. The mother recently moved in with another man and will not give him the new location. She started school last week and he does not know what school she is going to. She has said she move to another county, but that is all she has told him. What are his legal rights and how does he pursue getting his daughter on his court assigned days and weekends?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NateFamilyLaw replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to

The problem first of all is that he needs to find her. He cannot go to court and get anything done without knowing where she is so that he can serve her. For that, he's going to need to hire a private detective who can determine her new address. Once he has the new address, he can file a petition (or motion) for contempt with the court. In it, he can cite that she is disallowing his visitation and has not informed him of where his daughter is residing. Both of these are violations of the court order and can put the mother in danger of jail time. Because of this, she is going to comply with the visitation and stop acting so irresponsibly.

As always, I will be happy to follow up with you if you have additional questions. In the meantime, please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for answering your question. Of course, if you really liked what I could help you with, please consider a Bonus, too!