Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

Can i change my step daughters last name to my last name I

Can i change my step daughters last name to my last name? I have been in her life since she was 14months she is now 7yrs old and she only knows me as her daddy. Her bio father has basically abandoned her and is nowhere to be found.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
You will not be able to make such a change without filing a petition to adopt her as a step parent adoption and since her biological father abandoned her you could get the court to terminate his parental rights on those grounds, but it will still take an attorney to do and you can go to legal aid and also call the state bar and ask them for the pro bono attorneys in your area who can assist you with this matter.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”