Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

My question is based on looking at the State Supreme Court

My question is based on looking at the State Supreme Court Rulings from about 31 states over the last days. Out of 31 States, including California, I found that California is the only state thus far that allows document discovery demands to proferred unsigned and undated to be valid.

Why is this so. Haven't checked the other 19 yet.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

If you provide the cite to the case, I can review it and attempt to explain why the court ruled in that manner.

Customer:

I didn't write them down, I was conversing back and forth with JustAnswer as I was trying to understand why Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 26(g) mandatory signature on document demand request is not binding on states. Presently I have a case going that the attorney sent a document demand without a signature page and undated.

Customer:

Tried to backtrack. too many cases to look at again. If you have a general answer. will accept. must go offline now. pls email response

SoloLawyer :

Thank you. XXXXX of Civil Procedure 26(g) is not binding on States because it is for the federal court system. Each state court system has their own set of rules that govern the procedure. If California allows document discovery demands to be filed without a signature, the Federal rule isn't going to help you.

SoloLawyer :

If there is anything else I can help you with, don't forget to press ACCEPT if I was helpful, experts here don't get credit until you do. :) Thanks!