Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

am on ss disability and receiving a check from ss office for

am on ss disability and receiving a check from ss office for me and one check from ss office for me for childl under 18. ex spouse is telling me this second check is her court ordered child support payment. i thought all child support payments go through texas state attorneys office for collection. ss cannot tell me if this is the court ordered child support payment or not. where do i go to find this out. am only support for this child and do not have a lot of money to hire a lawyer. where do i go to get help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

With whom does the child reside? Was there ever a child support order in place? Do you remember filing for disability on behalf of the child?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the child resides with me as custodial parent, there is a child support order in place in the divorce decree of 500.00 per month. the mother has first third and fifth weekend visitation but rarely watches the boy and turns phone off when it's her weekend. when the social security placed my on disability because the children were under 18 they qualified. when oldest turned 18 his ss check stopped. i was notified by ss before check was stopped
Thank you for your follow-up.

Your ex is not telling you the truth. The support payment is YOUR benefit and what your disability pays toward the child, not her. She has to provide her own, as you said, court ordered support. She is simply trying to claim your money as hers, which is not the case. You will have to go to court and file a petition against her for child support on the behalf of the child. You will be able to file this yourself as you DO NOT need an attorney to file for you (it does help having counsel, but it is not mandatory or required).

Good luck.